COVID-19 (Coronavirus) statement
Posted on: 17 March 2020
Written by: Vicky Ream
In this difficult time, we are taking steps to stop the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), particularly among our Members - people with lived experience of homelessness - and all those we work with daily.
Many people with experience of homelessness who see and participate in our work have underlying health conditions, which increases their risk of severe illness from COVID-19. In consultation with our partners in the sector we have decided to postpone all activity with immediate effect. We will continue to provide remote support for our Members, and signpost to relevant partner organisations where appropriate. Cardboard Citizens will do all that we can to ensure that Members and staff are safe and supported.
Our immediate actions:
- We are suspending all theatre performances, workshops, events and training in response to latest government guidance to slow the spread of Coronavirus.
- This includes postponing our upcoming tour of Life by the Throat by writer-performer Eve Steele to homeless hostels, day centres and prisons. This is hugely disappointing for all of us involved in the production, but the risk of COVID-19 to the health of those experiencing homelessness in those settings is our overriding concern. We hope to reschedule this tour later in the year.
- In the coming days we are exploring creating a series of virtual workshops to ensure we remain connected with Members. For more information, Members should look out for emails, and continue to check cardboardcitizens.org.uk/whats-on
- As stated above, remote support and advice will continue to be provided to our Members who need help, especially at this time. Members are being contacted about the support available. For urgent enquiries or advice, please call 020 7377 8948 and leave a message detailing your full name, support required, person contacting if necessary, and contact details. Someone will aim to get back to you within 24hrs.
There are also resources for Members listed on this webpage, and a separate list of resources for Members aged 16-24.
- We will continue to stay in touch with our Members to keep you updated and hear your thoughts on how we can support you and keep our community connected.
- We support calls from the Homelessness Sector - including Pathway, Crisis, Museum of Homelessness and Homeless Link - for assistance to be provided to local authorities so that healthcare and housing can be provided and local plans developed to protect lives. Read more »
And if you value the work of Cardboard Citizens, please consider supporting us at this time with a donation - every amount will help us provide ongoing information, advice and guidance for our Members, and allow us to plan for a return to activity in the near future: cardboardcitizens.org.uk/Donate
You can make a one-off or regular donation using the box below, or donate by text* using these numbers:
To donate £1, text CITZ to 70201
To donate £3, text CITZ to 70331
To donate £5, text CITZ to 70970
To donate £10, text CITZ to 70191
We’re also thinking about the theatre industry which will suffer huge financial losses due to closures and cancellations. If you have purchased theatre tickets, please consider - rather than requesting a refund - donating the cost of your ticket tickets to the venue or presenting company.
* Fundraising, payments and donations through text-to-donate will be processed and administered by the National Funding Scheme (Charity No: 1149800), operating as DONATE. Texts will be charged at your standard network rate. For Terms & Conditions, see www.easydonate.org
With thanks to