Friday 4th December – Sunday 6th December 2015
Timings; 10am - 6pm each day
Held at: Cardboard Citizens, 77a Greenfield Road, London, E1 1EJ
Led by Adrian Jackson, the artistic director of Cardboard Citizens.
“Have the courage to be happy” - Augusto Boal, 1992 Election Slogan, Rio de Janeiro City Council
“Its essential declared goal is happiness, but not happiness as a static condition, a laid-back nirvana, happiness as a busyness, an aliveness, a full capacity, a firing on all cylinders.” - Adrian Jackson, Translator’s Introduction, The Rainbow of Desire
The personal is political, and the political is personal. Rainbow of Desires is the over-arching name given by Augusto Boal to a range of exercises, games and techniques on using the power of theatre to identify, analyse and respond to “internalised oppression” and to seek to understand its origins. This short course offers an introduction to a way of understanding ourselves in the world which may help open some doors and remove some blocks.
These three days will give participants an understanding of Rainbow of Desire techniques, their relation to Augusto Boal’s other tools such as Forum Theatre, and their practical applications, from the operation of a therapeutic group to the rehearsal of a play.
It will be useful to people looking to unlock their potential, or understand their blocks. Those already familiar with Forum Theatre will find it a fascinating further set of theatrical tools; people new to the work will be amazed at the possibilities. You don’t need to be an actor to enjoy this work – but actors will enjoy it too...
We start from stories of ourselves. Each of the 3 days will involve the development of simple games and exercises, followed by the practice of one or more substantial techniques.
In this introductory module of Rainbow of Desires, we will look at two or three of the following techniques:
- The Circle of Masks and Rituals: exploring the masks we don for different areas of our lives,
- Image/Counter-Image: using the filter of storytelling to investigate how we show and see moments of oppression;
- The Analytical Image: working from subjectivised distortions of an improvised replaying of a difficult moment.
- The Rainbow of Desires: identifying and clarifying our desires through the use of images;
- The Cop in the Head: inhibiting or directing voices in our consciousness that limit our possibilities
Who is it for?
For people already familiar with Forum Theatre, and/or facilitators from other disciplines such as:
- Social & political activism
- Conflict resolution
- Mental health
- Community building
- Drama therapy
- £324.00 Individuals/ Charity Rate
- £420.00 Commercial Organisations
All prices include VAT
Please contact Stuart by email or telephone 020 7377 8948
What other courses do you offer?